Thursday, December 1, 2011

Counting Down the Days

After posting different ways to countdown the days until Christmas last weekend, I was inspired to create something new to countdown the days. (This is what we used last year.)

Here is this year's Christmas Counter-Downer.....




Want to make one of your very own? You know you do! Here's how.......

1. Gather your supplies. You will need:
  • A piece of wood or board of some kind (I used a tacky plaque I bought at The Dollar Tree. I often like using these for projects like this because they are a good size, the sides are already finished, and there's already a hook on it for hanging on the wall. You'll just want to sand the front just a bit before you do anything to it so that paint or Mod Podge will adhere better.)
  • Decorative scrapbook paper
  • Coordinating cardstock
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam brush
  • Chalkboard paint
  • Chipboard coaster (I used a cheap coaster I bought on super clearance at Michael's that I had in my stash. You could also use a heavy piece of cardboard or chipboard and just cut it into the size circle you want.)
  • Embellishments
  • Chalk
2. Paint your coaster following the directions on your bottle of chalkboard paint and set aside to dry. (Most say paint strokes one way, dry for a bit, paint strokes the other way, and let dry again.)

3. Cut your paper to the size of your board. Brush a layer of Mod Podge on your plaque and then lay the paper down smoothing it out as you go along. If you have any extra, sand off the edges using a sanding block. Be sure and sand away from the board. (I always cut my paper a bit big for projects like this and sand off the extra because I like the finished looking sanding gives it.)

4. Print out the words "Days until Christmas" on your cardstock in your favorite font or download mine here. Trim to fit your board and glue it to your board.

5. Once your chalkboard paint has dried, glue on your coaster above your words.

6. Add any embellishments you like.


Now you are ready to count down the days until Christmas!

(Linking up to the parties listed in my sidebar)

1 comment: