Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Crafty Caddy

What do you get when you take some empty yogurt cups, some empty soup cans, a couple of buckets, and a thrift store Lazy Susan? Well, I am about to show you! 


Recently, I bought a "Lazy Susan" at a thrift store. I was torn between putting it in either the kitchen or my creative studio. I had ideas and uses of ways to organize with a Lazy Susan in both rooms but ultimately, the creative studio won and I knew I was going to to turn it into a crafty caddy that would house all the things I use most while crafting.


There she is pre-makeover. Pretty pitiful and sad looking but I knew it just needed some love. And paint!


The first thing I did was to clean, sand, and prime it. Then I added color! My usual go to color of teal spray paint is a light teal by Krylon called Blue Ocean Breeze. But this time I wanted something darker and couldn't find a darker teal spray paint so I ended up having to paint it by hand. I just used some acrylic paint I had on hand and a foam brush. It did need several coats though. 



Once it was dry, I thought it needed something else so I punched out a bunch of little black flowers using a hand held flower punch. I just mod podged them all along the edge. 


I gathered up several containers to use as holders on my craft caddy. I used 2 soup/veggie cans that were the same size, 2 yogurt cups, and 2 buckets that I got from the Target dollar spot. One bucket was left over from Easter and one from Valentine's Day. 




I peeled the labels off the soup cans and cleaned them out. I cleaned out the yogurt containers too and primed them along with the soup cans and buckets. Then I spray painted all of them black including the insides. 


They looked a little too plain just being solid black so I just wrapped around some teal and white polka dot ribbon around each container, gluing it down in the back. I then glued on a white flower and added a rhinestone to the middle of each flower to give it some bling and sparkle. 


Once all my containers were dressed up, I played around with placement on the Lazy Susan. Once I figured out where I wanted each of them to go, I put E-6000 (glue) on the bottom of each container and glued them down. I let it sit overnight and then I filled the containers with some of my most often used craft supplies like scissors, glue sticks, adhesives, markers, etc. 




















I LOVE how it turned out. I've only used it a couple of times since I completed it but it is so nice having everything right there readily available and only having to turn it to find something I need!


Linking up to the parties listed in my sidebar
and 
Visit thecsiproject.com

38 comments:

  1. Fabulous and thrifty! Love the colors you used. If I had room for this on my desk, I would copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project! You did a great job repurposing your items!

    Jennifer

    Classic Crafter

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO frickin' cute! Now you just need to make ME one (in red & black, of course)! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative idea. Looks very fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-2.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your thrifty and resourceful tranformation. The black spray paint has such a professional finish. I love these sorts of art caddys. They really make it accessible for children. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I love how you used some budget friendly ideas too!

    Maria @ Love & Sugar Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is SUPER cute!! Love the idea and will have to watch out for a lazy susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! I love projects such as this, that make use of recycled materials, because it just looks so amazing when it's finished. You'll never guess it's recycled. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY GOSH! That is ADORABLE! I love lazy suzan's but always forget to look for one when I'm out, I sure could use one! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for linking up to my Tuesday Confessional this week. You were featured, so be sure to grab a button! http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-features-upcycling.html
    I hope to see you next week.
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! maybe I just need pretty storage like this to keep my craft stuff more organized?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soooo cute!! Great job! I love how thrifty this project is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a great idea! We would LOVE to have you link this up to our giveaway and party! http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/strut-your-stuff-saturday-week-1.html

    The Sisters @ sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. great idea! i love it! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is super adorable! what a fabulous idea! love you blog, i'm your newest follower! can't wait to see your posts in the future =)
    stop by and check mine out sometime if you'd like!

    dazzlingdomesticdiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did so well with this - amazing upcycling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally need this for my desk!! It could use some organization and this is so cute! We just wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up to our first link party last week. We appreciate your support so much! We would love to have you stop by again this week and link up more of your great things at Strut Your Stuff Saturday!
    -The Six Sisters
    sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stopping by from Tatertots & Jello--This is such an excellent idea. I am going to have to put it in my "to do" file. I was just thinking that I really need to put some work into organizing my crafting area.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable and def. something I really should get to one day to help corral all of my stuff.

    Visiting from JAG.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your crafty caddy so much that I just made one myself. I saw it on Pinterest. I just blogged about it at my teaching blog: Tales of a Teacherista

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh this is awesome!!! simple and very usable!!!


    come link it to my woot woot wednesday linky party!

    http://tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com/2011/07/woot-woot-wednesdays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a genius idea!! Yours turned out SO cute~!

    We host a linky party “Help a Momma Out” every Tuesday. This would be a perfect link up! Please feel free to add it :) We appreciate it! Thanks for sharing!

    Kristine
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is fabulous! Gives me a great idea when I can organize my craft area!

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANK YOU for linking up!! Can't wait to make one of these beauties!!

    Have a great day!
    Kristine
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so awesome...I am now a follower.TFS!!!

    http://pinkandgreenscrapper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. love this great looking and would be perfect for back to school

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome idea! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How beautiful. I love the colors and the way you've set it up.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great job repurposing! This turned out beautifully :) Thanks for sharing!

    www.onetoughmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great idea using different cans! I made one just a bit different... don't you just love it!?! Glad I found you through Serenity Now. I am now one of your followers. Would love to have you stop by sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so sweet! My daughters would love this in their art center!

    Thanks for linking up to Show & Share, I'd love to see more from you in the future!

    By the way, I have a giveaway going on now, if you'd like to check it out!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/uprinting-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love, love, love this idea!!! I'll be adding one of these to my craft room as soon as I come across a lazy susan. Thanks for a fabulous and thrifty storage solution.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just found two of these old lazy susans at the Good will. I had no idea what I was going to do with them... but now I do! LOVE LOVE love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would love it if you would share this post on the Waste not Want Not Wednesday @ Pretty Shabby UK! I really think my readers will enjoy it!

    http://prettyshabbyuk.blogspot.co.uk


    Many Thanks

    Dawn @ Pretty Shabby Uk

    ReplyDelete
  36. okay I love this the colour combo is amazing. I have been on the look out for a lazy susan - no luck so far but I live in hope :)

    ReplyDelete