Monday, June 27, 2011

From Drab to Fab: Letter/Bill Organizer

My husband has this annoying habit of leaving mail (usually opened bills) on the kitchen counter. It drives me nuts because: a. it is unorganized b. it is messy and c. he can't re-find exactly what he needs when he needs it because I may have moved it. Do you have this kind of drama in your house? Please tell me you do! 

Anways, I thought a letter/bill organizer type thing would help a lot. 

I ran across this one at a thrift store recently for 2.00. Yep, I snagged her up. 

She's pretty drab and beat up. She definitely needs some loving but I had a vision - a makeover that would make her fit in with my red and teal kitchen.  

First, I gave her a bath by cleaning her off really well with a damp towel. Then I primed her. Next I decided to dress her in Krylon's Banner Red. She needed a couple of coats until she was fully covered.
She was all dolled up in Banner Red but she needed some accessories. 

I had some scrapbooking paper in my stash that I thought would go great so I got it out, measured for each of the slots, and cut my paper. I decided to use one printed side and one plain side. I just mod podged those on. 

She was looking really nice at this point but I decided to add one more thing. I sprayed a small wooden S (from Hobby Lobby) with Banner Red and then hot glued it on. And here's what she looks like now! 



So much better and I might not even mind (ok, that's stretching it too far) bills now since there is a pretty place to put them! 



Linking up to the linky parties listed in the sidebar
and
Visit thecsiproject.com

10 comments:

  1. Nick expects me to find bills (usually unopened - most of ours are on auto-pay) when he needs them and I usually can't. I think we need something like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will surely need one like this. I keep scattering mails everywhere... letters, bank statements, etc. Then I have to search everywhere when I need them... ugh, what I loser I am. I do need this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't it make it easier to pay bills when there is a pretty place to put them? No? Well, I think so! It looks fantastic!

    I would love for you to check out my giveaway for 2 canvas pillows, going on now! www.alittleknickknack.com. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great redo! It has such pretty lines, but you couldn't tell before. The red and the pretty paper bring out her curves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping in from Not Just a Housewife. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. The most view link will receive a set of fancy rectangle chalkboard labels from my etsy shop. Hope to see you there.

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've totally inspired me. We have one of these sitting out near the garbage right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally need to do something like this! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how this turned out. I love red and that blue together! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete