Saturday, January 8, 2011

Minestrone Soup

As I mentioned earlier, one of my goals for the New Year is to make at least one new recipe every other week or so and I kept up with that goal this week by making Minestrone Soup. Since one of my other goals is to eat healthier, I tried to keep this soup as healthy as possible. I found the original recipe on the Healthy and Easy Recipes Blog but I tweaked it a lot so I am going to post my tweaked version below but you can find the original recipe here.





Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground turkey
1 small onion
2-3 carrots
2-3 stalks of celery
2 small Roma tomatoes 
2 TBSP of minced garlic
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano 
1/3 cup small whole grained pasta or orzo 
3 cans of low sodium, light chicken broth
Olive oil 

Directions:
1. Finely chop your onion, carrots, and celery. Saute them in a little bit of olive oil with the 2 TBSP of minced garlic until tender. Set them aside. 
2. Brown your ground turkey until it is no longer pink. 
3. Add your chicken broth to a stock pot. Add in the carrots, onions, celery, garlic, turkey, pasta, oregano, and basil. Cook on medium high for about 15 minutes or so. Then turn it to low and let it simmer till you are ready to eat. 

1 comment:

  1. The original looks good...but your tweaked version actually looks better. I'm going to have to try this. Definitely. WTG Coley! :-)

    ReplyDelete