Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mississippi Girl Chicken Enchiladas

I posted that I was making these on Facebook last week and multiple people asked for the recipe so posting it here seemed like the easiest way to share it. 


As some of you know, I have an ulcer so I can't eat spicy foods or tomato based foods but I LOVE Mexican foods so I had to get creative and come up with some recipes on my own. This recipe below was made from about 3-4 different recipes plus trial and error. It's not figure friendly so I don't make it super often but it is delicious. 


What You'll Need:
Chicken (I use 1 package of the pre-cooked chicken made by Tyson.)
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup (I know, sounds weird - trust me!)
1 container of sour cream
1 large onion finely chopped
2 tbsp. garlic (I used the minced kind that comes in a jar.)
2 cups of mexican blend cheese
1/4 cup milk
cooking spray
tortillas (I use flour because J prefers that but you could use corn.)


What You'll Do:
1. Spray a skillet liberally with cooking spray and saute the garlic and onions. 
2. Add your chicken to the mixture. (If you are using the Tyson pre-cooked kind, it's already chopped, but I chop it a bit finer before adding it to the skillet.) Turn on low and let it hang out.
3. In another pot, add both cans of mushroom soup on medium heat. Stir in the whole container of sour cream and the milk. (I told you it's not figure friendly.) Let this mixture heat up a little bit. 
4. Now add about 1/4 cup of the sour cream/mushroom soup mixture to the pan with the chicken. Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese to the skillet as well and combine until the cheese is melted. 
5. Spray a cooking dish with cooking spray. Take a tortilla and add a couple of spoonfuls of the chicken mixture to each tortilla. (How much you add to each tortilla will depend on the size of your tortillas but you don't want them too full.) Fold each tortilla closed and place in the baking dish seam side down. Continue this with each tortilla until you have used the entire chicken mixture. 
6. Pour all of the sauce over the tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tortillas. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.


Enjoy!

1 comment: