Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tutorial: Snow Bars!



I LOVE all things snowmen related and I LOVE these little "snowbars" as I call them. I originally saw this idea a couple of years back on a crafting blog but I can't remember the original blog. Since then, I've seen them a couple of times done different ways and this is my take on them. They are fun and easy to make a lot of in a short amount of time and make great little stocking stuffers or gifts for co-workers, teachers, neighbors, etc....

Ok, here we go!

To make these little snow gals and guys you are going to need:
Candy bars (I used Hershey Bars in this tutorial but use what ya like!)
White paper (I use a low quality photo paper I get at the Dollar Store that comes 12 sheets to a package and I can get 2 bars out of one sheet but use whatever kind of paper, I just like the shininess of the photo paper for this project.)
Baby socks
Buttons
Ribbon
Glue
Tape
Embellishments such as rhinestones, little snowflakes, etc...
Black and Orange Marker

What You are Gonna Do:
Step 1: Tape down the ends of the candy bars. If you are making a lot of these at one times it's easier to just tape them all down at the same time. Trust me. ;)
Step 2: Using your candy bar as a guide, cut the paper to fit. Once you do one, you'll have the measurements for all the bars you are going to make and cut them accordingly. I don't score them or anything as it looks a lot better if you just fold the paper softly around the candy bar versus scoring and folding.
Step 3: Fold and glue down the paper to the candy bar. I use a glue stick but use whatever type of adhesive floats your boat.
Now comes the fun part - decorating your snow bar!

Step 4: Cut one of your baby socks right at the ankle of the sock and then place it on one end of the candy bar so that it becomes the hat and tie off the end of the hat using a piece of ribbon.

Step 5: Draw on the eyes and a mouth using your black marker and draw on an orange carrot nose using your orange marker.
Step 6: Glue on some buttons and then if you like glue on an embellishment to your snow bar's ribbon. Sometimes I glue on a star shaped rhinestone or a little snowflake.
Step 7: Line up your snow bars and look at how cute they turned out!


UPDATE:
CHECK OUT THE 2011 VERSION OF MY SNOWBARS WHICH INCLUDES A LINK TO A FREE PRINTABLE TO MAKE THESE BARS EVEN EASIER! 

 








21 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love snowmen too... and I think I might make some of these for my students. Thanks for sharing!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!!! I am always giving candy bars as a thank you and I love this way of dressing them up. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys and I just did this and put it up on our blog. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made these as presents for my daughters kindergarten teachers. My daughter had lots of fun and I think they turned out really cute! Thanks for the great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you all liked the idea and a few of you gave it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally was able to write a post on my blog and included this project. Of course I linked to your site - hope that is alright! If you want to check it out you can find the post here http://muffinsnmore.blogspot.com/2009/12/preparing-for-christmas-advent.html
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a Super Cute Idea!! Linking thru Mrs. Greene's Holiday Craft Along. Come visit me, just started some easy Christmas Ideas. Would love you to follow if you wanted too!

    Blessings,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are just too cute!! I'm adding this to my to-do list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Cute! I have a box of random buttons, they would work perfectly for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post! I would love for you to come link this up at my Strut Your Stuff Party!
    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-party-giveaway-and-another-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw these on the Echos of Laughter blog and I think you're brilliant! This year I'm doing my best to fill our stockings with good quality, unique items, and these will do the trick! I'm going to post about them as well in the coming week, and link back to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry - I misquoted my 'source' - I saw this on Beyond the Fringe's blog, not Echoes of Laughter. My apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute idea! Perfect for a child's school party!
    Thanks for sharing the "how to"!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute idea! I love little snowmen. Cute blog! Saw you on Craft-O-Maniac. Stop by when you get the chance:
    www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are soooooo cute!!! I love them!!!!!!. Also stop by my blog if you get a chande. http://makethebestofeverything.blogspot.com/

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! I love the little hats

    ReplyDelete
  18. These would be cute for a baby shower too! With a lifesave and a tic tac pacifier! :)

    ReplyDelete