Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tutorial: Initial Ornaments


 Recently I posted a picture of these initial ornaments I made in a forum and had a request for a how to, so here ya go!


These little ornaments are easy to make and look great on a tree or tied onto a package. You could also make them un-Christmasy (is that a word?!?) and then they could be used through out the year. I have an S that hangs on my desk all the time. 


What you’ll need: 

  • Letter(s) of your choice (I buy my letters at Hobby Lobby and they come two of the same letter to a package for 99 cents.)
  • Adhesive of your choice (such as scrapbooking adhesive, glue stick, Mod Podge, etc)
  • Scrapbooking paper
  • Coordinating ribbon
  • Embellishments (stickers, flowers, rhinestones, etc.) 
  • Sanding block (or nail file will work)




What to Do:

1. Trace your letter on to the back side of the scrapbooking paper and cut it out. If you don't cut it out perfectly that's ok as we will fix that in another step.

2. Adhere your paper to the front side of the letter using your chosen adhesive. 
3. Sand the edges just a little bit using the sanding block. You could probably skip this step if you cut perfectly but I think the sanding cleans up the edges and gives it a more finished look. Be sure to sand down, away from the paper or you will rip the paper. It won’t need much sanding at all. (I don’t know why but I really enjoy sanding. It’s stress relieving to me!)
4. Now, glue some coordinating ribbon to the back of the letter to make a hanger. 

5. Now, the fun part! Embellishing! Embellish all you want on the front of the letter. Add more ribbon, add some glitter, add some rhinestones, flowers, buttons, etc. 


And you’re finished!


Here's a few more examples.....

1 comment: