Friday, September 4, 2009

Update and Questions Answered About Noah's Meltdowns

Since I posted about Noah's meltdowns, I have received more than a few emails from some of you offering compassion, support, questions, thoughts, and even a smidge of advice. First of all, let me say thank you. Kind words can go a long way and they are much appreciated. 

Let me update you on how Noah is behavior wise at the moment and then I'lll move on to some of the questions. Right now, he is doing pretty good! Just as thought, settling back in to school and the routine that goes along with school has helped tremendously. As much as I tried, I just can't provide the exact same structure and routine that school can provide. 




There have been some minor issues and adjustments. The first few days of school were pretty tough but we were all (teachers and staff included) expecting that. Noah's in the middle school section of the school now which means a different area of the school, different rules, different teachers, etc. so that will take a little bit of time for him to get totally adjusted to but for the most part he is doing pretty well. 

At home he has been really good - even on weekends. He's eating better and sleeping better. He seems to enjoy just playing and reading his books and what not again. He seems much more like the old Noah. That's not to say he is perfect - what child is? But he's much more manageable and when he does have his meltdowns they are easier to deal with because there are breaks in between them instead of constant meltdowns which is what it felt like before. 


Now let's move on to the Question and Answer portion of this post. :) A couple of you emailed with questions - good questions I  might add. I answered your questions in email but I also thought that it would be a good idea to share those questions and answers here as well. Maybe someone else reading had the same question but just didn't feel comfortable enough asking. 



Is there anything I can do to help? Honestly, unless you are local and I super trust you and you want to watch Noah for an hour then no, the only thing you can do is pray for us and that is powerful and appreciated. 

I have a friend who's child has meltdowns and seizures, is there anything I can do for her and her husband to make this easier? (My answer to this one is going to be similar to my answer to the above question asking what could be done to help me.) Depending on how close you are to your friend and how comfortable you would be watching your friend's child, you could offer to watch him or her for a bit so your friend and her husband could have a small break. If that's something that you and your friend are not comfortable with you could bring her family a meal, offer to assist her with some mundane house chore like laundry, or just come over and have a cup of coffee and conversation with her. Adult conversation can go along way especially if you aren't going out all that much because you are worried about how your child will act in public.

I've seen a child having what I now think is a meltdown in public, is there anything I could do to help that parent? I think it would depend on the situation but honestly, there probably isn't a whole lot you could do. You could politely ask if there was anything you could do. If the Mom was trying to juggle the child and groceries or something, you could offer to carry the groceries out to her car or something along those lines.

So again, your support means a lot and I also don't mind answering questions - it just sometimes takes me a day or two to get back to you but don't worry I do respond!

No comments:

Post a Comment