Friday, April 17, 2009

Make your own Memory Board

I love reading craft blogs and found a new one not too long ago called One Pretty Thing. This site is basically a collection of DIY projects and tutorials all over the web. If you go to the site each day, you'll see about 20-30 links (with photos) to the projects. I've had fun visiting the site and actually using some of the tutorials to create my own stuff. I've been inspired by those tutorials to create my own so each Thursday as time permits, I'll try and share some kind of tutorial featuring something I have created. And of course, I hope one day one of my tutorials will be featured on One Pretty Thing.  So for our first Thursday Tutorial, I'll teach you something I have shared in other places before but it remains to be a favorite project - how to create a fabric covered memory board/bulletin board. Unfortunately, I don't have photos to show each text like some of the other awesome tutorials I've read out there, but that's something I'll work on next time I'm making a project I want to share. Creating a fabric covered memory board or bulletin board is easy and inexpensive. It's also a great way to utilize a bulletin board but in a fun way. Materials Needed: 1. Plain Cork Board (If you can only find the kind that has a wooden frame around it you could take the frame off. You could also use foam core board, like what is used for science projects.) 2. Fabric of your choice (How much you need will depend on the size of the board you use, but you'll need enough to cover the entire board.) 3. Ribbon 4. Embellishments such as flowers, buttons, rhinestones, etc. 5. Stapler 6. Glue Directions:   1. Cut fabric to fit the cork board. Leave enough so that you can fold the fabric over the edges neatly. 2. Once the fabric is cut and folded over begin to tightly staple it down on the backside. If you use enough staples it should be pretty secure but you may wish to add a little glue underneath the fabric as well for extra hold. 3. Cut your ribbon and criss-cross it in your desired pattern. Staple the ribbon down on the backside. I usually put a little glue under the ribbon on the back as well. You want to get it secured down as tightly as possible. 4. Use flowers, buttons, or whatever you like to add a little extra pizzazz to your memory board. 5. I usually make another ribbon loop on the back that turns into the hanger but if you didn't want a ribbon hanger, you could just  omit that step.  You can make this in less than an hour. And you can totally customize them to match the décor in your child’s room, your office, or anywhere in your home!

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking I needed another memory board. I just love seeing pictures of my hubby and kids around me. It lifts my spirits!

    ReplyDelete